The Energy team has financed over 100GW of projects across Europe, the Middle East and Africa. Considering the tremendous capital needs over the coming years and the increasingly complex needs of our clients, MUFG prides itself on delivering value through the meaningful roles we perform on deals we finance, along with the experience and expertise via our:
- Strong practical expertise in delivering large-scale financings;
- Strong relationships with export credit agencies (ECAs), multilateral agencies, and other finance providers;
- Deep market knowledge; and
- An appetite to commit the financial strength of our balance sheet to lending
Our dedicated energy financing professionals are based in London, Paris and Frankfurt. We have the skill and knowledge to advise on key features relating to 'bankability' and potential sources of liquidity, with the aim of fulfilling our clients' needs and objectives. Our team of experts work with the wider MUFG global network, giving clients access to a wide range of complementary and value-additive services.
MUFG is one of the largest and most robust financial groups in the world and we are an established market leader in the energy project financing space, having built a substantial track record on a wide range of products and technologies.
Our experience, depth of resources and creativity allow for the design of optimal financing structures – as demonstrated by our numerous awards for top roles in the industry and renewables sectors:
We also rank within the top positions for the league tables for Global MLAs (#2 in 2021), Global Bond Arrangers (#1 in 2021) and Renewables MLAs (#2 in 2021).
MUFG has facilitated the development of renewable energy in a wide range of jurisdictions in the EMEA region. Our unique expertise means we are able to support increasingly complex projects with challenging business models, including:
- Solar PV & CSP
- Onshore Wind
- Offshore Wind (fixed and floating)
MUFG has today established itself as a leading financier to the offshore wind sector in Europe and is a key player in the Middle Eastern project finance market.
Clean Technology and Net Zero
In the context of the energy transition to low carbon / net-zero technologies and as a complement to renewables, MUFG is actively engaged with industry professionals and are involved with ongoing mandates in novel sectors such battery storage, hydrogen/ammonia, carbon capture usage and storage and electric vehicles, battery production gigafactories.
We have published a series of papers as part of our Low Carbon Financing Series where we look at the most promising solutions for moving to a net-zero economy and the economic models which would support commercial bank financing.
Thermal Power & Water Desalination
Gas is expected to play a key role in the energy transition and MUFG has typically supported select combined cycle gas turbines (CCGT) projects, often combined with desalination facilities with government support initiatives including the independent water and / or power producer (I(W)PP) model.
Transmission & Distribution
MUFG has experience in structuring and financing regulated electricity assets. Such projects are typically financed either on the basis of a long-term limited-recourse basis, where the asset has a stable revenue source, or, on a more short-term basis, using bridge-to-bond solutions, in conjunction with our leading capital markets capability.
Our expertise covers:
- Upstream: oil and gas
- Midstream: pipeline and storage, liquefied natural gas (LNG) production, transportation and regasification, floating production/regasification and regulated networks
- Downstream: refining and petrochemicals
- Metals & mining: focus on transactions contributing to decarbonisation/energy transition
We have published a series of papers as part of our Low Carbon Energy Transition, where we look at how a range of industries can make the transition to net zero / carbon neutral.
- MUFG closes financing of Jubail 3B IWP in Saudi Arabia
- MUFG wins Lender of the Year at the 2021 Wind Investment Awards
- MUFG closes the financing of the world's largest offshore wind farm
- MUFG wins Lender of the Year at the 2022 Wind Investment Awards
- MUFG closes first floating offshore wind pilot project deal in France
- MUFG partners with Scatec ASA to structure $334.5 million Green Project Bond
- MUFG's Stephen Jennings ranked in the 2021 European Power List